Thursday, September 25, 2008

STORY: Nut from the Past

Holy shit, I cannot believe my eyes. I'm sitting here watching "Kitchen Knightmares," a reality show about failing restaurants which world-renown chef Gordon Ramsey tries to rescue, and one of the waiters looks VERY familiar. In a candid interview, the name "Phillip" pops up on the screen and then I began to realize who he was.

Quite a few years back -- I was either fresh out of college or finishing up my senior year (I really can't remember) -- Phillip and I met through one of those obscure dating sites. We spent many nights chatting online and a couple of times talking on the phone.

He was a few years younger than me and was planning on starting college in New York City if he wasn't already a semester or two in. He should have graduated by now, not that I really care, but I find the coincidence kinda funny.

While he carried himself very well on the show, the last I can remember of this guy is that he was a total loon and I mean a LOON. I should have known from his voice mail recording... Instead of there being the expected "leave a message after the beep," there was an obnoxiously loud recording of monkeys scrrreaming. Who does that?

Anyway, things hit the wall real fast when I realized how odd it was that he refused to call me after 7 or 8pm. It had nothing to do with his phone plan or his minutes. Allegedly, he was "afraid of the phone." If I called him when it was dark, he wouldn't pick up.

Weeiirrrdoooo! Control, alt, delete on THAT one!

No comments: