Monday, March 24, 2008

STORY: Coming Out at Work

When it comes to my job, I never know what whether or not I should come out. We spend a majority of each day working with the same people and they become our friends and sometimes our family, which makes it very difficult to leave certain parts of our lives hidden.

I don't feel like I'm living a lie, because I don't lie. I'm assumed to be straight (if those people only knew), but when the topic of relationships comes up, I just avoid the issue and change the subject. However, if people are smart, they'd be able to pick up the clues...

Aside from the risk of being fired or denied equal rights and benefits, it's the horrible thing of gossip that makes me uneasy: when one person knows, the whole damn community knows. I don't want my personal business spread around my PLACE of business. There is great truth to the saying "don't mix pleasure with business."

You may ask why I care what people think and why I would want to work for a place that discriminates anyway, but the fact of the matter is, I don't want to be put in a position where I have to fight for my equality. I don't want anything to get in my way of reaching progress and success. So, I chose to leave that piece of me tucked away from 9-5.

I COULD be overlooked for a promotion or a raise because of my sexuality or I could be commended for it. Any thing's possible. Who knows? After all, I do work for a small liberal arts college; chances are it won't matter, but there's still that risk and the fact that homo/bisexuality is still a major, major issue with people.

No comments: