Friday, March 28, 2008
'PINION: What's Crawling Up Your Ass?
It's late and I've had one too many glasses of wine, so bear with me, but I just wanted to make a quick point -- generally speaking -- before I went to bed...
It seems like a lot of dating sites only have one field where men can disclose their HIV status. In my entire online-man-hunting career, I've only seen ONE guy expose his HIV status as positive. One.
By just having HIV as the only option, I feel like these sites are almost perpetuating the stereotype that "all gay men have AIDS" and by doing so, they're also setting an unrealistic standard that we should only be concerned with another guy's HIV status.
The fact of the matter is, we should ALSO be concerned with who has AIDS, chlamydia, chancres, warts, herpes, gonorrhea and other parasites crawling all over his balls. How do we fix it? I want to see a series of check boxes where men can flag every single disease, infection and sore they've had. Not just HIV.
Let's be honest here. A guy's blood test can be as clean as a whistle, but unless you bent that bitch over to inspect the goombas and paratroopers crawling all up and down his butt, you'd NEVER know. Granted, there'd have to be a sense of honor and honesty for this work, but the point is, being HIV negative doesn't make you "clean."
It seems like a lot of dating sites only have one field where men can disclose their HIV status. In my entire online-man-hunting career, I've only seen ONE guy expose his HIV status as positive. One.
By just having HIV as the only option, I feel like these sites are almost perpetuating the stereotype that "all gay men have AIDS" and by doing so, they're also setting an unrealistic standard that we should only be concerned with another guy's HIV status.
The fact of the matter is, we should ALSO be concerned with who has AIDS, chlamydia, chancres, warts, herpes, gonorrhea and other parasites crawling all over his balls. How do we fix it? I want to see a series of check boxes where men can flag every single disease, infection and sore they've had. Not just HIV.
Let's be honest here. A guy's blood test can be as clean as a whistle, but unless you bent that bitch over to inspect the goombas and paratroopers crawling all up and down his butt, you'd NEVER know. Granted, there'd have to be a sense of honor and honesty for this work, but the point is, being HIV negative doesn't make you "clean."
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment