Friday, March 14, 2008
BITCH-N-MOAN: What Happened to Courtship?
What ever happened to courtship and chivalry? Nowadays, it seems like a lot of guys don't care enough to put any effort into courting someone their interested in.
The attitude is that "I shouldn't have to work for what I want from you." In other cases, it's "I don't have to prove myself to you." Maybe that's true. There are a lot of guys out there who are willing to bend over for next to nothing. Not me.
I'm probably naive or just speaking from mediocre personal experiences, but the lack of companionship within our "community" appears to be dwindling -- and I use the term "community" loosely. A lot of men want to skip dinner and a movie and jump right into bed, but I personally take note of the smaller things a guy does to capture and hold my attention, such as calling "just to say hi" or sending text or picture messages. And the favor is returned.
Now, I'm no perfect 10 and no God's gift, but I like to be chased after or at least shown a genuine interest in who I am and what I'm all about. In return, I'll do the same and that makes the whole experience of dating much more worthwhile.
I'm not here to say hooking up is a bad thing. Everybody has their own needs, including myself, but hooking up and having sex doesn't always fill the void.
Courting can be a double-edged sword, however. It either happens TOO much or not enough at all. For one thing, I can't stand it when a guy who I just met calls me several times a day, but on the other hand, it annoys me to hear nothing from him at all, especially if there was a connection on our date.
There used to be a day when a first date would close with a "thank you, I had a wonderful time. I'd like to see you again." Now, it closes with "let's go to your apartment." I've been stupid enough to fall for that line many times, but I'm growing sick and tired of the one-nighters.
I'm learning that I'm not just piece of dick and I need to stay true to myself. I deserve to be fought after (damn it!) -- we all do -- and no guy deserves to get what he wants until he puts in the work. PERIOD.
The attitude is that "I shouldn't have to work for what I want from you." In other cases, it's "I don't have to prove myself to you." Maybe that's true. There are a lot of guys out there who are willing to bend over for next to nothing. Not me.
I'm probably naive or just speaking from mediocre personal experiences, but the lack of companionship within our "community" appears to be dwindling -- and I use the term "community" loosely. A lot of men want to skip dinner and a movie and jump right into bed, but I personally take note of the smaller things a guy does to capture and hold my attention, such as calling "just to say hi" or sending text or picture messages. And the favor is returned.
Now, I'm no perfect 10 and no God's gift, but I like to be chased after or at least shown a genuine interest in who I am and what I'm all about. In return, I'll do the same and that makes the whole experience of dating much more worthwhile.
I'm not here to say hooking up is a bad thing. Everybody has their own needs, including myself, but hooking up and having sex doesn't always fill the void.
Courting can be a double-edged sword, however. It either happens TOO much or not enough at all. For one thing, I can't stand it when a guy who I just met calls me several times a day, but on the other hand, it annoys me to hear nothing from him at all, especially if there was a connection on our date.
There used to be a day when a first date would close with a "thank you, I had a wonderful time. I'd like to see you again." Now, it closes with "let's go to your apartment." I've been stupid enough to fall for that line many times, but I'm growing sick and tired of the one-nighters.
I'm learning that I'm not just piece of dick and I need to stay true to myself. I deserve to be fought after (damn it!) -- we all do -- and no guy deserves to get what he wants until he puts in the work. PERIOD.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment