Thursday, August 21, 2008

LOL: Dating Interview

Know what? I am stick and tired of guys overselling themselves and making me feel like it's my fault when they come up short. So from now on, I'm going to treat my dates like a job interview. Yup, that's right... and you might want to consider doing the same.

The way I see it, dating should be a mutual experience; a two-way street. Proving oneself is NOT a one-man deal (see blog post Courtship) because BOTH parties should work towards establishing a connection. However, if there's nothing there, there's nothing there, but that's a different story.

Personally, I don't like having my time wasted or enduring a shitty situation, so if I can avoid those things, I'll do so as early as possible. One way is to cut the shit, get RIGHT to the point and ask for his resume. Why the hell not?

DATING INTERVIEW QUESTIONS:

Why are you here and why me?
What are your strengths and areas in need of improvement?
Can I afford you?
What skills and characteristics do you have to offer?
Why did you leave your last boyfriend?
Are you dating other people?
Are you a team player?
What is your philosophy towards relationships?
Have you ever been asked to leave a relationship?
What is your ability to have a relationship under pressure?
Are you willing to put in overtime? Nights? Weekends?
Would you be willing to relocate if required?
What have you learned from mistakes made in past relationships?
Have you had a situation where you had to solve a difficult problem with an ex?
What household appliances are you familiar with?
How long have you been looking for a date?
What kinds of people do you have difficulty having a relationship with?
What have your past relationship experiences been like?
How would you be an asset to a relationship?
How do you motivate loved ones?
What do you do when you're having trouble with a boyfriend?
What extracurricular activities are you involved in?
How many past relationships have you had in the last 5 years?
Where do you see yourself in 10 years?
What is your personal mission statement?
Give me an example of a time you did something wrong. How did you handle it?
Do you prefer working on a team or by yourself?
Do you have any questions for me?

From the sound of it, I'd say these are perfectly reasonable questions and depending on their answers, you or I will be able to determine if our date is an asshole or not. It's important to spot a fake or potential trouble as EARLY as possible so that a sticky situation can be avoided.

Having a date tell me what I want to hear isn't the same as what I NEED to hear, nor is it the same as what he THINKS I want to hear. You see? Again, what's not there is not there.

I'm somewhat of a human lie-detector, so I'm lucky, but if you're not, here's a tip: if something doesn't make sense, it's probably NOT true. That's what Judge Judy always says. Aside from that, I don't know about you, but I don't want a guy who can't operate a dishwasher. Sorry buddy, THIS company is looking for domestication!

If this technique works, it could be a really effective dating strategy. Let's say my date is unable to answer my questions and support his statements with facts... Maybe this "job" ain't for him. If he fails to meet the "job's" requirements, he'll be thanked for coming in and sent on his way. Is that mean?

Let's say there's a situation where the guy is too good for me, which is quite possible I might add. In that case, it might be best that he's turned down for his over-qualification.

On a positive note, decent guys DO come along once in a while. If by chance I'm graced with such luck, a second interview might be in order before "the job" is officially offered. You never know!

QUESTION: What kind of a guy can meet my "job" requirements? ANSWER: He sought after me for reasons beyond what I look like. He's self aware and knows he's not perfect. He's willing to work on his flaws and battle his issues. He's willing to make sacrifices and contribute his 50% into a relationship. Time management, a positive attitude and critical thinking are his strong suits, all of which are also expected from his partner. Simple enough, right?

Who am I kidding? I just described the PERFECT guy!

2 comments:

KAOS said...

I can see where you're going with this. But couldn't the questions about team-playing be open to misinterpretation?

Furthermore, job application processes often include role-playing and various tests/assessments... lol

The Kabuki Play 3 said...

"Team playing" can mean many things to different people -- it's true. To me, it means "are you willing to do the damn dishes while I vacuum the couch?"